Today, we use lasers in just about every area, including commerce, entertainment, communication, and medicine. Lasers make use of specific wavelengths of light to achieve a given purpose. Aesthetic laser devices have enhanced the way that dermatologists meet the medical and cosmetic needs of their patients. We are pleased to have multiple lasers in our Sterling / South Riding dermatology office.
In the past several years, a number of laser devices have been developed to accomplish dermatologic goals such as improved skin texture or tone. The variety of wavelengths and techniques allow us to address a wide range of concerns.
Some of the FDA-cleared laser and light systems we have invested in include:
- The Palomar 1540 is a fractional laser that safely and effectively treats concerns such as fine lines and wrinkles, stretch marks, scars, hyperpigmentation, and sun damage. Treatment areas include the face, chest, neck, hands, and more.
- Palomar pulsed light therapy uses a dual-band spectrum of light to treat deeper vessels. This system is used to treat sun damage and broken capillaries.
- The LightSheer™ laser is an excellent solution for unwanted hair. With a built-in cooling tip, this laser device makes hair removal a more comfortable process.
- The Cutera XEO medical laser is also designed for permanent hair reduction. The longer wavelengths of light produced by this device may be better suited to individuals with darker skin, though lighter-skinned patients also enjoy the efficiency of this laser.
- The Candela laser treats conditions such as rosacea with short pulses of light. Reaching deeper tissues and vessels, this laser treatment can treat vascular conditions including port wine stains while also promoting collagen formation for improved appearance.
Lasers and light therapies are fully customized to each individual after a comprehensive aesthetic assessment and discussion of goals. Depending on the desired outcome and type of laser, a number of treatments may be scheduled for optimal results.
Learn more about laser and light therapies for your needs. Call the Sterling / South Riding office of Dermatology Associates of Northern Virginia, Inc.